Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) has been established under Food Safety and Standards , 2006 which consolidates various acts & orders that have to handled food related issues in various Ministries and Departments. FSSAI has been created for laying down science based standards for articles of food and to regulate their manufacture, storage, distribution, sale and import to ensure availability of safe and wholesome food for human consumption.
FSSAI license number is a 14-digit number issued to registered Food Business Operators (FBOs).
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India (FSSAI) in an order dated June 8, 2021, (Order) has mandated that the food businesses shall, be required to declare the registered 14 digit FSSAI license number on purchase invoices, cash receipts/cash memo/bills etc (Tax Invoices) that will effect from October 1, 2021
A Petty Food Business Operators can apply for FSSAI registration if such business operator having an annual turnover of up to Rs 12 lakhs and dealing in petty food business, operating business in Temporary or fixed stall or food premise, hawker, or small-sized storage units, transporters, retailers, markets, distributors, etc.
Petty Food Business Operators:- Manufactures or sells any kind of food by himself/herself, Petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor, temporary stall, Thela, Sweets Shop, Juice Stall etc.
Temporary or fixed stall or food premise:- It is involved in preparation, storage, distribution and sale of food products that can be served as snacks/ tea/coffee and similar variants.
Hawker:- Selling packaged or freshly prepared food by travelling (usually on foot or movable carts) from one location to another.
FSSAI is dispatching License and Registration to FBOs online with QR code. On scanning, QR code shows the details of FSSAI License or Registration as available in the FSSAI database. This helps in identifying any fraudulent activity.
A registration certificate has to be issued by the registration authority within 7 days of the date of making the application. In the case, registration authority wants to conduct inspection of the premise of the applicant, the inspection must be conducted within 30 days of the date of application and registration to be issued, if premises found in order as per Schedule 4 of FSS (Licensing and Registration of food businesses) Regulations, 2011
However, licensing officers can reject the application in the case when the required information is not provided within the stipulated time of 30 days or is convinced that the applied application is not tenable and cannot be granted. Before refusing a license, an applicant shall be given an opportunity of being heard and reasons for refusal shall be recorded in writing.
Petty Food Business Operators (FBO) who himself manufactures or sells any article of food or a petty retailer, hawker, itinerant vendor or a temporary stall holder or small scale or cottage or such other industries relating to food business or tiny food business operator having annual turnover up to Rs. 12 Lacs and/or whose
(a) Production capacity of food products does not exceed 100 kg or litres per day, or
(b) Procurement or handling and collection of milk is up to 500 litres of milk per day, or
(c) Slaughtering capacity is 2 large animals or 10 small animals or 50 poultry birds per day or less
These FBOs are required to obtain FSSAI Registration Certificate by applying on Food Licensing and Registration System. This Registration Certificate is embedded with QR code and has the image of FBO with 14-digit Registration number starting with 2 (2xxxxxxxxxxxxx).
(a) Photo of Proprietor/Owner of business.
(b) Government issued Photo ID such as AADHAAR, PAN, Voter ID etc
(c) Proof of Address of Businesses activity.
(1) Go to new FoSCoS Portal https://foscos.fssai.gov.in/
(2) User can login by clicking on box "Apply License/Registration Fee: Rs.100 to 7500 per year"
(3) Select "Apply For License/Registration" on new FoSCoS Portal
(4) Select the state where premises is located for which License/Registration will be obtained.
(5) Select Group Heads of Kind of Business like Manufacture, Trader, Food Business etc.
(6) Select turnover of business. If you want to get registration then select Turnover up to 12 lakhs/annum and click on proceed button.
(7) Fill following all the mandatory fields as shown in Form A and click on "Save & Next":-
(a) Applicant Details
(b) Kind of Business
(c) Address of Premises where food business is located
(d) Correspondence Address
(e) Contact Details
(f) Details of food items proposed to be manufactured or sold
(8) Upload the documents, pay the fee with available modes and submit the application.
(9) Payment can be made online through credit card, debit card and online net banking facility.
(10) After successfully completing the payment, a receipt will be generated with a 17-digit reference number which can be used for future reference.
(11) Users can track the status of the application through the Homepage of new FoSCoS Portal i.e. https://foscos.fssai.gov.in/ by using the reference number.